Pages

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Cloth diapers - the first day

Well, Emma's first cloth diaper lasted a whopping half hour - then she had the biggest poo ever!! It was rather nasty, especially because I thought I needed to dunk and clean off some of the poopies. What I forgot was that since Emma is exclusively breastfed her poo is water-soluble and thus does not require any dunking! Even though the first diaper was a little yucky, I put her back in a cloth right away.

My game plan was to start with the easier to use diapers and as I got more comfortable to put her in the harder ones that you have to fold. So the first 3 or so that I put her in looked pretty much like regular diapers - they were the bumgenius, fuzzibunz, and thirsties all in one diapers. Then I decided I was ready to attempt a pre-fold. It actually was a lot easier than I had expected, especially since you don't have to use pins anymore.

Because of getting a late start on Monday and being out on Tuesday, I only used the cloth diapers for about half of those two days. Today, however, we've been in cloth diapers since the early morning and are still going strong! We'll see when the time gets closer, but I'm feeling like I may try them overnight today also.

Since the program I'm doing does not give you enough diapers to use cloth 24/7 I am supplementing with gdiapers. These are a lot like cloth, except that the entire insert is flushable. I used the gdiapers for the first time today too, and they are really cool. The only problem with them is that the inserts are just as expensive (on sale) as disposable diapers, and more expensive regularly. I was given a trial set, so I'm probably not going to buy more unless I get a really good deal. Since we are looking into cloth more for the cost than the environmental reasons, I'm not feeling too attached to the gdiapers.

One complaint that I do have is that most of the cloth diapers seem to be bulky and look funny under Emma's clothes. Some of her smaller outfits that she was getting close to growing out of actually don't fit with the cloth diapers. This could be because she is still pretty little, but we'll see. Its not really a good enough reason not to keep going!

I do have a bunch of pictures of the different diapers, so I'll post those soon.

1 comment:

InDeeds said...

Sounds like some crazy-diapering adventures. I can't wait to hear what you officially decide!