Pages

Sunday, August 28, 2011

Book List: Through August

I've read some great books lately! Here are a few of my favorites...

The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie: A Flavia de Luce Mystery: The first book in a series about an 11-year-old chemist (who specializes in poisons) and helps the police solve mysteries in her small English town after World War II. These books are hilarious and great mysteries! I've also read the second book, The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag, and I am currently reading the third, A Red Herring Without Mustard.

I really liked Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet, a book about a Chinese-American with a Japanese-American best friend during WWII in Seattle. The book started a little slow, but I fell in love with it a few chapters in.

A re-read from last year that I just finished was The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. I love this book! Its written completely as letters, which is really different than most books. This is another post-WWII book (apparently I read a lot from that time period!).

Non-fiction favorites over the last few months are Adopted for Life: The Priority of Adoption for Christian Families & Churches, and Loving the Little Years: Motherhood in the Trenches. Adopted for Life is a wonderful book about the spiritual and theological meaning of adoption as well as practical and physical adoption here on earth. Loving the Little Years is the most practical book about parenting small children that I have ever read! It is 20 short chapters, perfect for reading when you only have 5 minutes at a time. I've read it twice in 2 months and it has changed how I think about and prepare for our day-to-day life.

That's all for now! I love getting new book recommendations, and I can't plug Goodreads enough. Its totally free and a great way to see what your friends are reading and get recommendations for new books.

1 comment:

Lindsay G. said...

I'm going to have to check out some of your recommendations. I just finished reading the new Duggar book. It was cute. Now I'm reading Still Growing by Kirk Cameron.